Saturday, October 3, 2009

Used Book Forays

Money is tight right now, but we like to afford ourselves little pleasures (and I mean "little" as in cheap ass) just to stay human. One of the few guilty pleasures my wife and I share is a love of books. So, we often peruse used book stores for good deals on books we may never read. A few days ago I got a copy of Death Dealer 4: Plague of Knives. I am now only missing book 3 Tooth and Claw and I will have all four of them again. I've read them all but they are so fantastic I want to have them to read again.

Yesterday Connor and I went to the store looking for some specific military sci-fi books (I'm in a mood). Unfortunately, they didn't have any volumes of Larry Niven's Man-Kzin Wars, or Jerry Pournelle's WarWorld series. And nothing else they had appealed to me. But I did pick up a couple of items. I got Tarnsman of Gor by John Norman, the first in a series. This series is always on peoples' lists of "Sword & Sorcery must reads" so I figured I'd give it a go.

I also picked up an old D&D based novel, Greyhawk Adventures 3: Master Wolf by Rose Estes. I had this book a long time ago, but never read it. The first two in the series were written by Gary Gygax, God rest his soul. But they weren't that good. This one seems a bit better, and it's nice and lite, which is what my brain tends to like. I get bored quickly with books if they blather on too much.

Lastly, I picked The Celts by Elona Malterre. It says on the cover "An Epic Novel of Ancient Ireland." How cool is that? I'm Irish and I love the Celts. So, I figured it was sure thing. Well, after I bought it, I decided to read the back cover. I suddenly got suspicious, and when I got home I researched some reviews of the book. Yep, it's basically an Historical Romance novel. Not sure why it was shoved into the Fantasy/Science Fiction section. Eh, my wife might read it. And it was less than $2, so screw it. Heck, I might even read it someday.

All told this addiction has cost me a whopping $6 this month. Not too shabby.

No comments: