Monday, November 15, 2010

Sputtering and dying...

Despite my best intentions, yet another NaNoWriMo project is grinding to a slow halt this month. It's halfway over, and I have barely 5,000 words done. And I know the culprits. Or, as Steven Pressfield says, the Resistance that is winning this fight. Mainly it's time management. I just don't have the time during the day to crank out words. Working a full-time job that is actually starting to get busy, then going home to a family that needs my attention, and homework (which is only going to get worse, as I will be taking 2 classes at a time soon), it's all adding up to a full day, from the moment I wake up to the moment my head hits the pillow. And when I do have time to write, the energy is lacking. And mainly for the reasons stated above.

Also, there's the lack of motivation and creativity. Most advice on writing states that you should just start writing and that the creativity will begin to flow from the ffort. That's all well and good if you have the time and energy to devote to the effort. But when I try to do that, either nothing comes to me, and I am writing useless crap, or by the time the ideas do start to come I have to stop writing because some other obligation demands my attention, or my eyes are shutting of thier own accord.

So, what is a would-be writer with too much on his plate to do?

I guess first of all, ditch the idea of writing within a time-limit for now.

No comments: