Tuesday, December 11, 2012

FASERIP!!

Some of you may recall that many moons ago I blogged about an old RPG I used to play, and LOVED in high school.  I am, of course, speaking of the Marvel Super Heroes RPG, put out by TSR, Inc. (the original makers of D&D)  Now long out of print, MSH still has a loyal, if aging, following online.

(For those who are not familiar with the game, the title of this post is an acronym given to the core system that MSH used.  It is based on the seven attributes heroes in the game had: Fighting, Agility, Strength, Endurance, Reason, Intuition and Psyche.  FASERIP.)

At the time of my previous post, I had lamented that I could never find a generic version of the game, with all of the Marvel Comics IP stripped out of it.  Well, apparently I didn't look hard enough.  Because today, on a whim from nowhere, I did a Google search for FASERIP, and one of my results was a link to a product offered for free at DriveThruRPG.  It's called the 4C System (as in four color), and it's free and offered as public domain.

So, what that means is, I can have my MSH game back, without the M, and can substitute my own heroes.  It also means that I can modify the system to accommodate a more "skills-oriented" RPG, which would allow me to use that dynamic system for other genres, like fantasy, modern and science fiction.

Will it work?  I dunno.  I remember it working really well for Supers.  And I have always wondered how it would handle other genres.  So, here's my big chance.  Will I do it?  Ok, now there's the $64 question.  I am notorious for starting crap like this and never following through.  Although I am getting better about that, it still takes me a long time, usually.

Anyways, just thought I would share my geeky treasure find with you, just in case anyone was interested.  Now, where did I put those d10s...?

No comments: