Thursday, February 28, 2013

The Muse

I have been fighting off sickness for almost a week now.  It comes and goes in waves.  Some days, I'm fine, others, not so much.  The one thing I hate the most about being sick is the drain on my energy levels.  As my body fights off infections, I am unable to move much, or to think very clearly.  God forbid if I try to write something coherent during this time.  So, as a result, despite having a lot of time to myself in the last few days, I have produced just about nothing.

Yesterday, I had the first essay due in my class.  I had started it last week, before getting sick.  The beginning was strong, and I think I stated my intent clearly, and backed it up logic and reason.  And then I got sick.  Yesterday I was home with several symptoms which muddled me so bad all I wanted to do was lay in a tomb and mummify.  But, the essay was due, so I dug in and did it.  All in all, it probably isn't as bad I think it was.  But, I guess we'll have to see.

This morning, I am feeling much better.  So, in between work tasks, I usually have Word open to any given story (if I am properly inspired).  Today, Word was open, but the page was blank.  I couldn't start writing, or continue writing because I am still kind of in a fog.  So, I opened the WIP of Scott Oden's latest work, A Gathering of Ravens.  I am honored to be among a few beta readers, helping him keep on track as he converts a detailed synopsis into a finished novel.

Anyways, aside from enjoying his writing immensely, and being so engrossed in the story that I hated it when I reached the end, I was also inspired.  As most of you know, I am working on an Historical novel in fits and spurts about King Agesilaus II of Sparta.  Well, today I was inspired to create a new character that would serve as a temporary POV character during a battle scene.  As I thought about the character more, I realized he could be much more important to Agesilaus' story.  Oddly enough, when I opened my "notes" file, I found that a similar character had already been thought of many months ago, but completely forgotten. 

Or, was he?

I have come to the conclusion that this is how my Muse works.  I will get a germ of an idea; I jot down my initial thought; and then it percolates.  Eventually, something sparks renewed interest in that idea (consciously or subconsciously), and I begin to flesh things out again.  In time the idea will fully come to fruition and mesh with other, similar ideas, and a story will emerge.  At least, that's how it should work.  I'll let you know if/when it does.

In the meantime, let me ponder the implications of the events at the Battle of Mantinea, in 418 BCE...

As an interesting aside, tomorrow is my wife's birthday, and in celebration I am taking her to see a group called Muse on Monday.  Funny, that is. :)

1 comment:

Charles Gramlich said...

Yeah, it's hard enough to think well when you aren't sick, much less when it's dragging on you. Get completely well soon.