Tuesday, May 14, 2013

It is finished...

After months of false starts, starts and stops, and downright procrastinating, I am finally done.  I have finished my 10k Sword & Planet story for Scott Oden's anthology.  The last 2700 words were written this morning.  By my count, there are now five complete stories in his hands for this, with at least a few more on the way (hopefully).  No word on whether it will be a print book, an ebook, or both.  Either way, I feel elated.  I always do when I finish a story.

Now that that one is done, I am kind of milling about mentally for what to do next.  I have no stories that have anyone waiting on them.  Well, aside from the various sequels that people keep wondering when I am going to write.  I should probably work on one of those.  But then there's a few longer projects, including a S&S novel (aiming for 40-50k on that one).

Of course, there is the 13-page paper on Social History due in a week and half.  Yeah, I should probably get going on that...

The weather was crap this weekend, but yesterday and today have been beautiful.  Walked both days at lunch, and I'm feeling pretty good about myself.  Hoping to get my punching bag hung up tonight so I can give that a go.  The kids have been stressing me out lately, and I could use the aggressive release.

Yesterday I got on a kick and looked into dressing up as Jack Flack for Wizard World.  The hardest part will be the gray leather jacket.  I asked my wife about making one (she sews and is looking at making her own costumes), and she said she might be able to do it, if she can find a decent pattern.  It's basically a Panzer jacket design, with zippers, and superfluous pockets.  The rest is pretty normal clothes that I already have, or can easily get.  I even have a beret, though I'd need to find a suitable flash.  I'm just wondering how many people would recognize who I was supposed to be...

Of course, all of this thinking about Jack gave me an idea for a new writing project.  But, I think I'll keep that one under my hat for now.

3 comments:

Gothridge Manor said...

Congrats on finishing the story. I need to get back to my fiction.

The Happy Whisk said...

Congrats to you for all your hard work. Woohoo.

Charles Gramlich said...

Cool. Looking forward to reading it, man.