Thursday, October 16, 2014

Goodbyes


Many years ago...
So, today my oldest daughter and her fiancé, who have been living in our house for the last year and a half while she attends school, are moving out. With the help of her mom, they purchased a used van (which I kind of envy), and have been saving up their money for the last month. This morning, I said my final goodbye to them, as they plan to hit the road just as soon as they can get packed up today.

I know it’s not forever. It never has been. And that’s the thing. Ever since my daughter was a little girl, and her mom decided I wasn’t the man she wanted to be married to anymore, I seem to have been saying goodbye to my daughter on a regular basis. Sometimes just for a couple of weeks, sometimes for a few months, and once for over an entire year.

Admittedly, this time it’s a bit different. She’s an adult now, with a promising future, and (I hope) the skills she needs to succeed in life. I’m proud to say that my wife and I had a large part in making sure she was prepared (ok, her mom had some part in it).

But, in the end, it’s just another in a long line of temporary goodbyes. I prefer to think of them more as “see ya laters.” Because we will see them again. After all, they are moving to San Diego. And that’s not such a bad place to go visit.

So, to my baby girl, see ya later. Daddy loves you. And I’m never more than a phone call, Skype call, or silly text about bodily functions away.


High School graduate (with the "daddy" eyebrows).

Beauty School graduate!
These kids are just potheads.


2 comments:

Adventuresfantastic said...

Best of luck to both of them as they move out. And to you, too, as you adjust to fewer people in the house.

Charles Gramlich said...

My son was over on Sunday and we caught up. Hadn't seen him for about four months. I miss him a lot when I don't see him but, as you say, it is temporary. I'll probably see him again around Thanksgiving.