Monday, December 8, 2014

Agents of SHIELD

I don’t, technically, watch TV. We have a NetFlix account, and I usually just watch that, or the occasional Blu-Ray/DVD of my favorites. I do occasionally get into a TV show on NetFlix, and have even binge-watched entire seasons. Mainly these have been comic book-based shows. I’ve run through most of the animated series from both Marvel and DC, and have thrilled to the exploits of Oliver Queen in two seasons of Arrow. And my most recent foray was all of Season 1 of Agents of SHIELD.

I have to say, I feel dumb for not watching this show as it was broadcast. This is easily the best show I have ever watched, IMHO (YMMV). It hits all the right notes for me personally, and I have already grown very attached to the entire cast. Not to spoil things, but when the betrayals came about, I felt personally betrayed. It’s that immersive for me.

One of the best elements of the show is the development of Agent Coulson. At the beginning of the season he’s the same everyman agent we have grown to love in the MCU movies. But, as the season progresses…well, let’s just say, for the sake of those who may be interested in seeing for themselves, he goes through some shit. And as that shit gets deeper, Coulson loses is “Coulson-ness.” But, by the end, all is righted (relatively), and we see Coulson transform back into his true self. And it’s amazing to behold.

As always happens, NetFlix didn’t get Season 1 until Season 2 had already started. So, as of right now, I’m several weeks behind. This week is the “winter finale”, which I am hoping signals a period where they will re-broadcast the previous episodes, just so I can get caught up.

I’ve also become hopelessly infatuated with Ming Na Wen. Not only is her character, Agent Melinda May a kick-ass character, but she is arguably one of the sexiest actresses out there, IMHO. So, yeah, there is a lot of “eye-candy” factor to this show as well.

No comments: