Friday, January 8, 2016

Ch-ch-ch-changes!

I figured that was an appropriate title considering it’s David Bowie’s birthday, and it’s also my last day at my current job.

I’ve worked for the State of Wisconsin for almost five-and-a-half years.  In that time I’ve done a lot, learned a lot, and experienced a lot,  and that’s just the work-related stuff.  Due to the nature of being admin support, I also always had a lot of “unoccupied” time on my hands during work hours.  So, in that time, I did a lot of personal stuff too.

I managed to nearly finish my Master’s degree, and only have my Thesis left to complete in order to graduate.  I managed to write and self-publish several short stories, and several gaming products.  I’ve communicated with people all across the globe, and reconnected with old friends.  I’ve waxed philosophical, political, and nonsensical.  All from the comfort of my work computer, while still managing to complete all of my assigned tasks, and make my Bureau a better place.

Monday, I will be starting a new chapter in my career.  I have been hired by the Veteran’s Administration as a Voucher Examiner.  Don’t ask me what that is, exactly, because I only have a vague notion that I will be reviewing benefit vouchers for accuracy and potential fraud.  The location is closer to where I live, and I won’t have to pay for parking (I don’t think).  Both will save me a lot of money each month.  And because it’s a Federal position, the potential for advancement and growth is much greater than it is here at the State level (thanks mainly to Scott Walker).

I imagine that, since my job will actually be focused on specific tasks, unlike the “jack-of-all-trades” nature of admin support, I won’t have nearly as much “free” time during the day.  So, those who see me around Facebook will probably see less of me.  And my infrequent blog posts will probably be even more infrequent.

Of course, once I finish school, I will probably turn my evening attentions towards more creative endeavors.  I am always compelled to create stuff.  So, since I will be unable to do that during the day, it will force me to do it at home.  Which, honestly, is where I should be doing it anyways.  I’ve been lucky the last few years, but I know it’s not normal, nor should it be expected.

So, here’s to 2016 being a year of new beginning already.  And I hope that trend continues.

1 comment:

Charles Gramlich said...

Sounds like a good step forward. Congrats!