Monday, February 7, 2011

Victory in defeat

As all of my real-life (and most of my online) friends know, I love football, and have been a die-hard Steelers fan since before I even knew what the game was. Every year I wear my custom Terry Bradshaw jersey, and cheer for my boys to kick ass. Sometimes they do, and sometimes they don’t. But, they are always a good team to watch, and no team has ever had an easy victory over them.

In 2007, I moved to Wisconsin, and married the woman of my dreams less than a year later. My wife has been a Packers fan all of her life, and she loves football just as much as I do. So, for the last few years, we have cheered equally for each other’s teams. Then, the Perfect Storm happened. The improbable matchup of a lifetime. The Packers and the Steelers squared off for the Big Game! And what a game! We were on the edge of our seats the whole time. And even though I lost, I still had fun, and am still very proud of my Steelers.

Interestingly, I have always placed all football teams into three categories. The team(s) I love, which was usually just the Steelers; the teams I hate, which will always include the Cowboys; and the rest, whom I’ve been more or less ambivalent to. Now, I have added the Packers to my Love category (in spot #2, of course), and the Vikings and Bears to my Hate category. So this game was kind of a win-win for me. I’m happy that the Packers won, and that Rodgers can finally be 100% shed of Favre’s shadow (that guy is such a douchenozzle). I’m only sad that my Steelers had to lose in order for it to happen. But, there’s always next year!

2 comments:

bowiefan said...

I am happy you gave me another team to love. I had a hard time cheering against the Steelers :P

Charles Gramlich said...

I like both teams a lot but felt a little stronger for Green Bay this year, partially because of Rogers and Farve, I"m sure.