Friday, December 28, 2012

Questions for Gamers

Image from the game "Of Orcs and Men".
Really looking forward to this game, as it
seems to have the exact look and feel I want
for my Role Playing game, Life of Rage.
Yesterday I finished the main text portion of my Orcs tabeltop RPG, Life of Rage.  All that is left to do is to write the sample adventure, maybe create some sample characters, do some formatting, probably a lot of editing, and of course, get some decent artwork.  Ok, so there's a lot more to do.  But, technically, what I have right now is a (more or less) completely playable RPG.  That I wrote.  All by myself.

Anyways, at this point I find myself with a few choices to make.  So, I figured the best way to gage how to go about those would be to ask the RPG community for their opinions.  So, please comment here or on my Facebook post, or send me an email, and let me know your opinions on the following questions:

1.  Format - Do you have a preference for PDF or Print?  I will likely offer both, with the PDF being laid out for optimal use on a computer screen.  Print will most likely be POD through Lulu, or maybe RPGNow.  Have to do some exploring there.

2.  Size - For print editions, what size do you prefer?  I'm looking at doing either full-size (8.5" x 11"), Trade Paperback (6" x 9"), or Pocket size (4.25" x 6.87").  Depending on how it all works, I may offer multiple sizes, but I'd like to keep it as simple as possible, since I doubt my audience will be that big.

3.  Fiction - How important or useful are snippets of fiction in an RPG book?  I know that White Wolf has always used it extensively, and I have even read some of it.  But I'm not sure many other games do.  What are your thoughts on fiction?  Does it help you get into the mood of the game?  Or is it just fluff for page count?

I think that's a good start.  So, please let me know what you think!

3 comments:

Charles Gramlich said...

I got nothing, man! :)

Tom Doolan said...

Thanks, Charles. I appreciate your honestly. :)

Gothridge Manor said...

Choices are always good. I like to have the print copy to read and the PDF to refer to. Size, hmmm, not sure. Most of the time I think bigger is better for my aging eyes.

Fiction is tricky. I know I like it, but there are many who don't. So for this I think you just gotta go with how you want to see your product. If you want fiction included, put it in there.