Friday, April 26, 2013

Game on!

Tonight we were supposed to have a make-up session for our ongoing D&D campaign.  We're at a pivotal point in the story, where my character (and the party, really) is about to gain a very special weapon to be used in the current war with the forces of evil.  However, real life being what it is, we won't be able to play tonight.  So, we're back on our regular bi-weekly schedule next week.

In the meantime, I and at least two other players (including my wife) are jonesing for adventure!  To that end, the other player who isn't my wife is thinking of starting a new campaign to "fill in the gaps."  I'm excited about this idea.  Probably more than I should be, or thought I would be.  This is the same friend that ran an all-day marathon session of AD&D for his birthday last year.  Now THAT was fun!

Anyways, nothing concrete is in place.  In talking with him, he says he has a lot of ideas, and would need to hash out details of how it would work; what genre, what system, etc...  This, combined with Tim Shorts' Friday Question today, as well as an email from Scott Oden yesterday, has me thinking about gaming.

I think what I would like is a game that is focused on swashbuckling adventure with pirates on flying ships, and evil sorcerors, doing battle with dashing heroes, all for the hands of maidens in distress.  Something akin to Barsoom with magic and D&D races (elves, orcs, halfling, dwarves, etc.).  That would be cool!  Maybe Spelljammer, but confined to a single world.

Of course, I could be currently influenced by the fact that I am trying to finish up my Sword & Planet tale for Scott Oden's planned anthology.

Be that as it may, I have suggested a supplement for the Pathfinder RPG, Distant Worlds.  It looks awesome, and I really like Pathfinder as the successor to D&D 3.5.  I see it as an updated Spelljammer, with a Sword & Planet feel.  Sounds perfect!  Let me roll up my Elven privateer, so that he may clash swords with that dastardly villain, Blackskull!

No comments: